Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Personal Research Journey

 
 
I chose the  topic of public policy for my simulation due to the current state of early childhood and it’s recent
recent media attention, calling for the historic  investments to be made in early childhood education. President Obama’s early learning plan for stronger investments in early childhood entails participation for all in children in high quality programs. Major changes are in the process of being made that will have a major impact on the field, and as a parent and an educator I believe that the key to major changes in education is through the venue of public policy. This will ensure the window of opportunity in young children is utilized to it’s full potential.
Initially, I have learned that one of the most important aspects in beginning to conduct research is the determination of a specific topic, as well as the ability to explore a variety of questions surrounding it. I speculate that narrowing down a specific research question will be the most difficult part of the whole process. Additionally, I think that filtering  through an abundance of resources might also be rather difficult due to the large variety of information that is out there on the web.
Constructing the research chart was an interesting experience, I found that I needed more information than the given definition in the book and found myself exploring other sources for a more detailed clarification that I could explain in my own words.

I wonder if any other colleagues have had this issue due to the large reference to research definitions and lack of clarification in the glossary?

6 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    I share your concern on being able to successfully narrow my questions down to ones that will be manageable. I realized as I looked back over my initial questions that they are probably to broad to be researched in the amout of time tht we have in this class. Given your interest in public policy makes me want to ask if you are making that your specialization in your degree?
    Jenn Pore`

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, undestanding quailty citeria of research and the exist we want to go in our topics is a jpourney within itself. I choose a topic and subtopic that has so much information online and trying to narrow it done is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley,
    I think that public policy is a great topic for your research simulation. It is certainly a hot topic as of late and is an area that is very important to the early childhood education field. I am looking forward to following your blog and hearing about your experiences with creating your research study. I also found that I had a difficult time with the definitions. I am thankful that the glossary was available, but like you mentioned the definitions given were not very clear. I also had to look other places so that I could gain a better understanding of the terms. Some I have never heard before and I just could not formulate a definition in my own words until I was more aware of their meanings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I think you chose a great topic, Public policy and I am convinced that this is so important that it can determine the future of our profession. I was curious and I searched the topic and I found an abundance of resources, so many that I commend you for being up for that challenge of choosing such an important topic. I am very interested in following your blog to find out what you have posted. I will add some insightful information as I come across it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,

    I found when looking at the definitions that some were very scientific, but reading them within the text helped. I did have trouble putting some of the scientific terms into my own words within the definition. Additionally I tried to make my definition sound more scientific, but instead it would sound vague. It was a challenge, but am thankful for the growth it provided.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the definitions hard to grasp also and had to do other research to understand what they meant. I think you chose a great topic that you should be able to find alot of information on. Good luck

    ReplyDelete