Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sharing Web Resources

Sharing Web Resources

The NAEYC website has the naeyc program standards highlighted for educators and parents. This is a helpful resource towards assisting families choose early education programs. These standards are essential towards a firm understanding of what is necessary in a high quality program. The standards and criteria are also the foundation of the NAEYC Accreditation system for early childhood programs. To earn accreditation, programs must meet all 10 standards.
Here’s a link to the standards in more depth: http://families.naeyc.org/accredited-article/10-naeyc-program-standards
                The site also had many helpful articles that could assist educators towards becoming more culturally conscious in their teaching methods. A great example of this was the section that described anti-bias education tactics all year round. It practically focused on holidays, and how to approach them in a new light. “For children and families from other groups—be they Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, pagan, atheist, or anything else—Christmas can be a difficult time.” (NAEYC 2014) Allowing a spotlight on the various multicultural cultures can ensure that everyone is acknowledged and included. Another, idea is to substitute the holiday with another fun alternative celebration.
             There are a multitude of articles, research statistics, and online forums related to the economic, as well as scientific benefits towards investing in the early years. Simply by searching under the articles link, or typing in key words into the search engine. I was able to locate over 20 articles related to just the economic recovery and reinvestment back into early childhood education programs. Additionally, it presented a public policy update that conveyed more detailed information on president Obama’s state of the union address, which involved the initiative in funding higher  quality ECE programs, as well as various state governors across the county (and across political ideologies) who are using their state of the state addresses to highlight early childhood education.
            I also gained some insight on the “week of the young child”, which is coming up on April 6-12th it enables celebrations that are organized and coordinated by regional, state, and local NAEYC Affiliates, and by individual early childhood programs and community organizations providing services to young children and families. The purpose of the week is to focus public attention on the needs of young children and their families and to recognize the early childhood programs and services that meet those needs.

Resources


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My school uses NAEYC's requirements; I think that those requirements are a good guide to new teachers like me who are still trying to find a way to incorporate each child in the curriculum. I am one of the newest teachers at my school and having those guidelines has helped me overcome many challenges. I say guidelines, because you also need to follow your instinct and know which ones are best for your children and your classroom management. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NAEYC's website has a TON of resources. I wished I had selected it myself. I worked at a center recently that was NAEYC accredited and it was my first introduction to them. I am going to try to get more familiar with the website myself, it just never seems to be enough hours in the day anymore. I like the "week of the young child", I wonder if centers in my hometown focus on that during that time?
    Great informational post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley! You have provided a great post! NAEYC does have some great resources on their website! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete