Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Family Culture

3 Items to take:

·         An iPod because music is a large part of my families dynamic with a variety of music representing my family: country, reggae, R &B, Hip Hop, Classical, etc.

·         A historical family tree plaque passed down through 4 generations.

·         A family picture album consisting of family vacations, events, and extended family members.

I would explain to others that each of these items represents unity and the importance of family within our culture. Passing down the family history is essential for generations to come, so that they can understand why it’s important to value family and traditions. If I was told I could only keep one item I would be devastated but I would keep the family picture album as it consists of the family linage, and is a symbol of the importance of family.

This exercise helped me to realize just how much family is important to my family culture, along with passing down traditions, customs, and values to my kids.

 

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    While reading your post I was intrigued by your family tree plaque. It is cool that you have one in your family and that it has already been passed down for four generations. I think you made a good choice in wanting to take it with you. I believe it would be very significant to your family especially if a catastrophe has occurred and life as they know it has ended.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have sentimental family items that have been passed down like your family plaque. When I started this assignment, I too thought of such things but they were honestly too big to carry with me. One would be a giant memory/shadow box my uncle made after his brother (and my dads brother) was killed in Vietnam. The box hangs on the wall at my parents house and has a hand painted picture of my uncle, the American flag given to my grandmother when she was notified of his passing, all of his medals and awards while in service and some other pictures and awards. It is a huge piece of history and sentiment for my family but wouldn't travel well... Iin the end, I also chose the photos - it seems to be so important to us all. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised you wouldn't keep the family plaque passed down for four generations. I see alot of people picked family albums, I have my pictures on my walls and no album I always liked my pictures to be out in frames on display

    ReplyDelete