Sunday, July 27, 2014

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions
 
Learning about microaggressions this week has really opened my eyes to the transformation that racism has taken in our society today, and the detrimental effects that subtle discrimination, prejudice, and stereotypes can have on people.
A few weeks ago I experienced a "catch 22" as Dr. Sue described (Laureate Education, 2011) I went on a job interview and upon meeting my potential employer I could tell she was quite shocked that I was African American. (Quick side note I have been told ignorantly by others that I have a "white name" and speak like a "white person") she initially told me that she pictured me to be much different the how I sounded on the phone, making a joke. I immediately thought it odd but obviously did not say anything because I wanted the job. After a decent interview, we spoke candidly about the position and was told that I was extremely "articulate and well spoken". Hmmmm once again I was flabbergasted "had I just been given a microinsult or a compliment or both?" I left the interview feeling confused and uncomfortable, obviously that person was in a position of power and afterwards the more I thought about the circumstances that had occurred, the more offended I became in hindsight.
My observation experiences this week has given some new perspectives on discrimination, and how biases/prejudices can unconsciously effect our actions and how we interact with people around us. It is human nature to identity the similarities and differences in others, but we must develop conscious thought behind what we do especially in our multicultural saturated society.
References
Laureate Education. (2011). Microaggressions in everyday life. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu 


No comments:

Post a Comment