Sunday, September 21, 2014

Communication Differences


Upon first reading this assignment I thought that I communicated in a general manner with everyone, but upon closer examination I realized that I in fact do communicate differently with different groups in terms of language, situational context, professional/family relationship ,and even culture. A great example of this would be when I communicate and interact with family members or even people from the same ethnicity as me. I tend to use more slang, and vocabulary from our country, along with references to things that are relevant to our culture. On a professional level, I most definitely use high lanague, in order to communicate in a more formal way.

3 Ways to Communicate More Effectivley with Identified Groups

1) Try to decipher and be mindful of other's verbal and non verbal communication code that may cause barriers like culture, language, and even gestures. Appropriate knowledge must be obtained.
2) Do not assume similarities within the same cultural groups. Be mindful that cultural differences and variations occur even from people that may share the same social group or class as you.
3) Develop social decentering, in order to better cognitively, individuals perceptions and thoughts even if they share a commonality with you.




References
Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon

O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment